So here are some photos of my setting, it is still a work in progress but we are getting there. These are taken when everything has been tidied away not during a normal work day as sometimes there is no floor space left! I am lucky that I have a couple of units that I can fit baskets or trays under, the basket contains musical instruments and the red tray is in theory baby toys but the older ones like to play, explore and fiddle with them too.
Toys in the bookshelf cupboard.
and the cupboard.
The other end, this cupboard still needs sorting, getting there.
I tend to have a basket of books out that are relevant to the theme we are working.
One of the major changes we have had here is reducing our dressing up clothes, actually we completely changed it. I now have a small basket of silk squares/scarves and coloured muslin squares instead of a large basket of dressing up clothes that lives on a shelf and the children can use.
They have sparked so much creative thinking as to what and how they are going to use them for.
They have been used for
- Baby doll slings
- Wrapped to make dresses/skirts
- Bedding for baby dolls
- Yellow square to make a sandpit
- Blue square to make a paddle pool
- Butterfly wings
- Fairy wings
I have started to look through my many books and really need to go through all the craft stuff, that is mine and the children's and then it will probably time to go through the toys again.
Questions I asked about my environment was :-
- Does it work for me
- Do I feel relaxed and happy in the room
- Do the children play well, is there enough space for what they want to do
- Are the children happy and relaxed
- How well do the children engage with their environment and resources.
- Where and how do they play
- What do they like doing
- How can I easily adapt the environment to meet their needs and interests
- Do you really need 10 baby doll etc ok the answer might be yes but it has to be right for you.
- Can the children reach everything they need easily
- Can we all tidy up easily
I have bought my playsilks from Myriad and I have just discovered Arwen Makes and was chatting to the owner about some of her lovely silks, she will custom make them as well, so think I might me adding a couple too my collection.